Monday, April 11, 2016

Brace Yourself

If you've known me for, like, five minutes, I've probably mentioned Myers-Briggs. So, of course, when I saw this article posted I couldn't wait to read how my personality type was most likely to die. Yeah. It's a real article, that's not the point...

ENFP: Decides to go on a “Fun Jungle Adventure!” alone, without a map, and never returns.

Another thing you know about me if we've spent more than five minutes together is, this scenario is not really a stretch. I love a good adventure and I've been on my fair share as a party-of-one. And, listen, if Siri isn't available in the jungle, I'm not getting out. (Let's be honest, if Siri isn't available in Nashville, I'm not getting out.)

Can I be dramatic for just a second? Basically, I'm going to die, alone, because I was irresponsible in the name of fun. Is that real life?! Because I feel like it could be! Or, you know what I mean, some form of that. (Sidenote: I need a drama font.)

Generally speaking, I find it exciting to be a bit out of control. Living on a whim. You know, all fun and independent. Free-spirity. All those Pinterest-y quotes with mountains in the background... But, after a while, it becomes uncomfortable and being uncomfortable for so long is exhausting and confusing and draining. If I had to say, I think the last time I remember feeling stable and secure, having some kind of life plan, I was in college. And we all know how stable and secure college kids are.... These days, a one-year plan is pretty hard to come by. Laughable, really. In fact, it feels like the last five(ish) years, in particular,  I have been in transition.

via
I read a blog recently, because, apparently, blogs are still a thing. It said this:

"I was reading a book on a plane the other day called Change Your Trajectory by Bishop Dale C. Bronner. This isn’t the type of book I expected to make me cry, but it did. 

As soon as I read this:

“Transition is a terribly uncomfortable place for you to be in your life. You will start hurting and not even understand where; you’ll think, I’ve never hurt like this before. I’ve never dealt with these kinds of problems. I’ve never been at this point in my life before.”

There is something about a writer articulating for us exactly how we feel that is just so helpful and comforting and healing. When I read that paragraph, I began to cry because I thought, “Yes, that’s why I’ve been so ‘weird’ lately because I am so freaking uncomfortable all the time!”"

So, there is something about a writer articulating what another writer has articulated for them describing exactly how we feel that is just so helpful and comforting and healing.... Hurting, check. Can't put my finger on it, check. Never felt like this before, check. New problems, check, check, check. In just a second (or, like, a few more posts), I'm going to stop talking about how hard on my heart this last year has been and start talking about all the good things happening in every day life lately. But, for now, I just need to flush some of this out. Thanks. :)

I was listening to a Steven Furtick sermon the other day called 'Brace Yourself' about the life and struggles of Samson. He talked about Samson being listed in the New Testament 'Hall of Faith' among those who "through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised ... whose weakness was turned to strength." (Hebrews 11:33-34) Except it's interesting that Samson, of all people, would be sited as weak. He had seemingly always possessed strength, it's kind of his calling card; however, Pastor Steven dug in to explain, Samson's downfall really had nothing to do with a lack of strength and everything to do with a lack of stability. And then, because I think it's what men do, Pastor Steven detoured to talk about bench pressing.... He talked about how injury (or instability) in one part of your body can affect strength in another. In the same vein, he also gave the example of a stability ball. Much like college students, a ball is not exactly the perfect picture of stability; however the instability created is what grows strength as we work to stabilize.

Samson was never weak, he was unstable. I am not weak, I am unstable. And maybe you are, too, but we have the Power, and we have the Promise, and we are stronger than most of us are willing to admit. Stronger than life makes us look sometimes. It was in Samson's most vulnerable state that he turned to God, braced himself, and accomplished his greatest victory. So, if the Philistine's really wanted to take Samson's strength, they should have taken his whole scalp. Because, like hair, strength grows back. Brace yourself.

2 comments:

ifthoumayest said...

This post makes me wish I had a few more hours with you before you head back across the ocean. Would love to hear more of your heart. I think I need more Tara in my life. ;)

Rebecca Stanley said...

We are in a jungle without a map! :-) which mostly just makes me glad that I'd be with you! also, love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...