Tuesday, September 24, 2013

what's your song?

via
So, this weekend I went to Idea Camp in Austin. At Idea Camp: "We want to engage in fresh, honest and transformative conversations with leading thinkers and practitioners on topics including how the people of the church care for the poor, the vulnerable, the other and self while unpacking how differences of gender, race, mental health, world view, and age influence our approach. Our desire is to live life as God’s loving expressions of grace and hope to our world through tangible acts of care for all of humanity."

One of the things I learned is, it's not about me. I mean, I pretty much know that, but it's easy to forget sometimes, isn't it? Anyway, we'll come back to that another day. Today, this blog just so happens to be about me, it's my blog, so I can do that. :) We took in a ton of info and I had some really great, late night conversations with friends, but I think I'm still trying to process everything. So, just one little story for today.

Starting at the beginning, the worship band was amazing. I love worship. I absolutely meet God there and that first morning was no different. The talent on stage was undeniable, they have been blessed with such a beautiful gift. A, literal, voice for the Lord. And as we sang the words "for the Kingdom and the King, for His glory we will sing." I wondered, What's my song? What is my skill, my talent? What am I offering up to Him every day? The answer is, I'm not sure. But what I do know is, He knows my name, He knit me together in my mother's womb, and He has called me to good works which He prepared in advance for me to do. He has pursued me, fought for me, and died for me. He lives within me and for that, I will sing.

If I had to sum up the conference in a word, I would choose dignity, the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect. I wouldn't say that I have alway been great at extending dignity, but it has become a deep passion of mine and I have become so fiercely protective of my little Rwandan community. For reasons I'll never understand, I was given the opportunity to see life from another perspective. I got live with, love, and be loved by some of the greatest, most inspiring individuals I will ever know, many of whom are not often extended dignity. So many beautiful songs, silenced, for so long. I will forever consider it one of the great privileges and joys of my life to see the girls at No.41 rediscover the song in their hearts. To realize that they, too, are fearfully and wonderfully made, set apart, and called by name.

Because, you see, poverty is not a disqualifier for purpose. Our circumstances do not define our worth and knocking someone else down does not somehow elevate you to a higher calling. When we extend dignity, we offer hope.
Hope is the thing with feathers That perches in the soul, 
And sings the tune--without the words, 
And never stops at all. 
-Emily Dickinson

What's your song?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...