Thursday, September 5, 2013

happiness


I read this little ditty the other day. It's something I've been thinking about for a while now. I'm generally a pretty positive person, but I don't love the word happy or maybe I just don't like the way it's thrown around so much. That said, I realized the other day, both my phone case and my laptop case say, "Think happy. Be happy". (*eyeroll*)  I suppose, I do think there is something to be said for that, I think we so often find what we are looking for, but I think it's also important to look at the whole picture. To be content, open, growing in all circumstances.

Happiness is a fine line, really. It's a fleeting emotion. And it's lovely, but I don't think it should be the goal, right? I mean, life's not always "happy" and when did we start thinking that it was supposed to be? Life is hard and it's supposed to be. “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (emphasis mine). The world is not our oyster, and contrary to popular belief, we were not put here for our own pleasure. Each one of us was plucked out of eternity and put, specifically, in this time and in this place for a purpose. I believe it is our job to find it, put our heads down, and get to work. We live in a broken world.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

So, sure, there's crap. It's all that necessary stuff that molds us and shapes us, teaching us who we are and who we want to be. It's what makes the sweet so sweet. It makes us whole. I know there will probably never be a laptop case that says, "Think crappy. Be crappy." because happy feels better and no one wants the crappy. But wholeness, or life to the full, I can get behind that. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...