Friday, March 15, 2013

leaning into joy


Well, somehow it's halfway through March and my time in Rwanda is winding down.
To say that I have mixed emotions about it is a complete understatement.
July is coming up quick and I have been waxing pretty nostalgic these days.
And leaning into joy.

Not happiness. Joy.
I am learning that there is a difference.
I think happiness is based on your circumstances 
and joy is found in being thankful, no matter the circumstance.

We've got a good thing going for us here. A really good thing.
And not because everything is always butterflies and roses.
It's, actually, far from it.
But, in every day, there is joy.

Joy comes in the ordinary moments.
 Joy that creeps up silently and washes over you, when you least expect it.

Joy in the hills all around us.
Joy in our girls.
Joy in the friendships forged.

Lately, I find myself closing my eyes and breathing it all in.
Taking a mental picture. Making a memory.
Trying to make it last as long as possible.

These days I feel joy in my bones.
Not always happiness, and that's certainly not the goal, but joy.
There is much to be grateful for even when life is tough. 
Because, at the end of the day, it sure is beautiful.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...