Friday, March 22, 2013

a love letter

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters. Wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior."
Dear Rwanda,

I think I loved you before I ever knew you, but when we met, I fell hard and fast. Sweet Rwanda, we have certainly done this thing, you and I. I have loved you so deeply and you have loved me back. You challenged all that I am and have given me a glimpse of who I want to be. The small girl, ready for anything, who stepped off that plane two summers ago, is gone. In her place, a mother, a sister, a leader. You have changed me. I made my home in your hills while you made your home in my heart.

You made me work hard. But you taught me to slow down. You showed me what's important, and that it's not always the bottom line. It's the people that you meet on the bottom, the relationships that shape you, and the ones that love you when you're not all that loveable. It's the friendships that raise you up and the Higher Power that encompasses us all.

While your pain is unimaginable, your strength is indescribable and your beauty unmatched. Maybe you don't know that. Maybe you don't realize that your landscapes are some of God's best work. Much like your people must be among His greatest joys. Oh, you are flawed, in many ways. But aren't we all? And that's where God shines the brightest. Where hope is born. You taught me that.

My Rwanda, you inspire me. I could never repay what you have given me. One thousand hills and one thousand lessons learned. I am honored to have called you home and humbled at the opportunity to work alongside you. You are a part of me. One of the best parts. Thank you.


4 comments:

Wynne Elder said...

beautiful post my friend! isn't it crazy god knew all along rwanda would be a part of you? i love how he works & i love that you said YES! love you!

Our journey said...

I love this. I especially love reading it as I am sitting in the land of a thousand hills. The quote is beautiful! Where is it from? I love and admire your heart for this country.

tara said...

Wynne, I am amazed every day at how this crazy, beautiful plan continues to pan out. I love you, friend! Stephanie, thank you so much! The quote is from a Hillsong United song, Oceans (Where Feet May Fail). It's on constant repeat these days. Hope you are loving Rwanda!!

Amelia said...

read this again and crying even more

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...