Thursday, September 29, 2011

Anatomy of a Seven Hour Hike

1. Destination: Lake Kivu

2. A buddy: Nicole

3. No map

4. No sense of direction.

5. Equal parts beautiful people and beautiful scenery. 


So, Nicole is my new pal. She is in the PeaceCorp. from California and she invited me to go with her one Saturday to visit her other PeaceCorp. friend, Tasha, at her site in Kivumu.
(Kivumu is about a 40 minute ride on a moto from Nyundo.)

We left at 9am, packed a lunch, and headed down to the lake.


We walked through several small villages on the way and, at this point, I was blissfully ignorant to the fact that we would be walking back up.
Anyway, we always drew a crowd.

I don't want to talk about my outfit...







The road just kept winding and winding and several times we wondered if we were making any progress. 


But eventually the lake did appear to get closer.


I'm going to stop and say right now that the scenery was much more beautiful on the way down

It could be because on the way back up I was breathing so hard I thought my chest would explode and my legs were burning so badly I think they finally went numb.

Now, y'all know I'm dramatic, but some of the hills were actually hikes. 

So, here are a few more pics before I went into cardiac arrest.



Sugarcane
She looks like she could tell some stories...



Cassava is like a really not good sweet potato.



Coffee
and a little drunk lady that asked that I not take her photo.
I'm sorry lady, you're just too cute.
Finally, we made it down to the water.
I looked around for some pearly gates or something, because surely this was some kind of major accomplishment...

But, no.

What we did find were these little beauties:


I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to go with that kids had never seen a white person before. They weren't quite sure about us.


After a few introductions and giggles over the camera, we noticed a boat seeming to just float around in the water. 
So we waved it in to see if we could get a ride.

Mr. Blue Pants drove a hard bargain, but eventually we got a 45 min ride for $1.50 each.

Our chariot

and the 'driver'...
but there was alot of this going on.



Driver Jr.




So, here is the part where the fun ends and the devastation hike back up begins.
No photos.

Until...


We lived!
The perfect ending to the perfect day.



Tara

And, in case you're wondering, I was paralyzed for the better part of four days after this little excursion.

1 comment:

You Can't Spell Practical Without Traci said...

So beautiful! I hope you are feeling better after that HIKE! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...