Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Wheels on the Bus Go 'Round and 'Round


Yesterday I went to Kigali for the day. I case you were wondering, I spent the full day waiting at Ethiopian Air and Immigration not to get my flight cancelled and to pick up two forms to bring back on Monday. But that's not the point. 

The bus ride is 3 1/2 hours and what I couldn't wait to tell you about was, I had the pleasure of riding next to His Royal Highness of Booger-Picking
I feel confident in telling you that there has never been another person on the planet to spend as many consecutive minutes picking his nose as this man. And I thought that would be the highlight of the trip. However....

In Ruhengeri, just over an hour into the trip this man got off the bus and a woman sat in his place. She didn't speak at all, just stared out the window. 
Fine by me. I had my iPod in and was settled in for the ride. 
After about 20 minutes, the man in the seat in front of me turns around and shrugs his shoulders; I shrug back having no clue what's happening, until I realize that the woman next to me in doubled over and heaving. 
I don't have to tell you what happened next, but I will, SHE PUKED ALL OVER MY FEET. 
Oh yes, it happened.  

And me? Well, it wasn't pretty. In a moment of complete desperation, I threw my backpack in the lap of the man next to me, jumped on the back (she was still hunched over, obviously) of the puker and yanked open the window where I simultaneously gagged and gasped for air.

Everyone was speaking to/yelling at her. Probably saying something like, "Hey lady, you are sitting next to the window! Try losing your cookies out there next time!" 
She never spoke. The bus never stopped.

Thankfully, I had a bottle of water with me and I poured it all over my feet and that was it.
I'm scarred for life. I'm also dramatic. 

In other travel news, I rode on a mototaxi on Thursday. 
In Kigali
I have really been wanting to ride one for a while, but I have been nervous. Clever assured me that as long as I rode a new one, I would look thinner I would be safe. So I picked a bright red fancy one, put on my helmet, and there we went. It was about a 15 minute ride (from the the market in Gisenyi to home) and it was pretty fun. It wasn't as scary as I thought, I thought it would be more of a rush. I think Clever had something to do with that.... Maybe I"ll take another one sometime. They are really expensive, $2 compared to $0.50 to ride the bus, and on the bus, it's free to hold your neighbors belongings or have someone ride on your lap.
I love a bargain. What can I say? :)

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Tara

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh crikey, I miss Noel and all the craziness so much! Thinking of you always, keep up with the amazing work! All my love, Megs xx

Mary Jane said...

Wowee, love getting to hear about all the adventures and knowing you, the children and all things Rwandan!
It is such a shame that Luke and Paul left out so many cool, juicy details in their accounts! Thank You, Thank You!

Kyle Kues said...

"SHE PUKED ALL OVER MY FEET."

Kyle Kues likes this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...