Thursday, August 4, 2011

Nyungwe

Good grief. I realize I am totally behind on blogging. And I'm sorry. 
So much has been going on at the orphanage; for the last two weeks!
We have had 2 AMAZING teams from His Chase come in and everyone is buzzing. 
I can't wait to update you on all of that soon. 
But first, I wanted to tell you about Nyungwe, a little day trip we took almost two weeks ago. 
I can't get it off my mind.


I think I've told you that we (Martin, Megan, Andrew and I) have been spending time at Pfunda, the tea plantation just up the road from the orphanage. Martin and Andrew were staying there and Megan and I stuff our faces eat there as often as possible. 
Amit, the son of the owner, had us over to his home for drinks one night and told us about a lodge in Nyungwe that we had to visit and he told us he could get us a discounted rate since it was also on a tea plantation.
Immediately, after seeing the brochure, we were all in.

So, on a Saturday morning, we woke up at 4am, hopped in the car, and drove 8hrs (the long way) across Rwanda, not totally sure what we would find at the end of our journey. 

I love a good road trip, but even for me, 8hrs is a long time. I have to say, the time flew by; due in part to the good company, but the scenery didn't hurt a bit.




Did I mention, we had to drive through the rainforest to get there? 
Whose life is this?



Tea is one of Rwanda's primary exports and it's probably one of my most favorite parts of the Rwandan landscape.
As we drove closer to the lodge, we were surrounded.





And then we saw it.


The dark modern metal, stone and glass in complete juxtaposition to the lush, green landscape. 


We walked inside and I'm not even going to say anything.



It's tea strainers. No big deal.
Hi, Heaven. I'm Tara. Nice to meet you.
Bonkers.

Needless to say, the food was amazing, the shower (open to the rainforest) was more than I ever would have dreamed and I slept through the night for the very first time in over a month.

But, my favorite part was the canopy walk over and through the rainforest. The next morning.


Looking back, it's had to imagine, but Andrew begged us and had to talk me into going. I was content to stay at the lodge and soak it all in, but eventually he convinced me. Martin and Megan opted out. (suckas) :)

I'll just let the photos speak for themselves.








We may or may not have forgotten our hiking gear.



The trail is named after this tree, the igishigishigi. :)


R.C. Sproul wrote, "Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God." 

Truth.

However, at the same time, I couldn't help but feel powerful. The same God who created all of this, lives in me. Woah.

Still trying to soak it all in,

Tara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...