Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Cold Showers, Warm Milk and Nutella


I've been reading about an interesting phenomenon called cognitive conflict, where educators have discovered that we learn and comprehend best when our minds are disturbed; the more we are bothered by what we are being taught (because it is new or radically different) the more likely the information will change the way we think and live.

Jesus was the King of this. Jews thought his teachings were insane, but that is exactly what made them so powerful. Black is white and white is black. Up is down and down is up. Love the people who hurt you. Humility is power. You win when you come in last. Give more, keep less...and it goes on and on.

I have been trying to find a way to describe life here, where the showers are cold and the milk is warm. What it's like is...disturbing. In a good way. It's all of those backwards things; so painful it's beautiful and so beautiful it's painful. Intoxicating and suffocating. Filled with joy and spilling over with sadness.

But here's the best part: THEY HAVE NUTELLA!

Ok, that's not the best part (it's a close second). The best part is everyday I am learning much and leaning more, on Him. I am thinking differently and living differently. These last two weeks have not just been life-changing, but life-giving.

I want to be African when I grow up.

Tara
PS I'm reading True Religion: Taking Pieces of Heaven to Places of Hell on Earth. By Palmer Chinchen

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I think this was my very favorite post you've ever written. Absolutely perfect in every way. Love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...