Monday, July 18, 2011

He Is Good

Last Saturday morning started out like most other Saturday mornings. I woke up around 7:30 (Megan slept in), I went to breakfast at 8:00 and came back to the house around 8:30 and began to casually "shower" and get ready for the day. About 9:30 Martin and Andrew arrived from Pfunda (silent P), the tea plantation down the road, and Megan woke up and got herself ready. 
It's important to mention that we were getting ready to begin painting that day. Shorts (for some reason I had on jeans) tshirts, flip-flops... At 10:05 Andrew walks into the room and says we've got to go to church. Now. It starts at 10:00. 
We knew that the children had been preparing for something. They had been practicing their drums and dancing and Friday night the girls were ironing their performance dresses, but we couldn't ever nail down what was happening and when. Until now. This is Africa.

So, we loaded up in the van and headed about 10 minutes down the road, past the church up on the hill, and pulled into a large field below crawling with 100s of people.
There had to be at least 1000. As we got out of the van and walked closer this is what we saw:


The reddish brown tin roof you can see (left-side, center) is the center stage filled with over 60 priests from Nyundo (where we live) and the surrounding districts. 


We had stumbled upon 6 new priests who were about to be ordained. 
I would say, half of the people were 'dressed to the nines' (is that right?) and the other half had walked for miles just to be apart of this sacred event.


...And here came 4 Muzungus, sticking out like sore thumbs, in their painting attire.

Anyway, center stage was flanked by four tents, two on each side, with rows and rows of seating.
There was also standing room only on all three sides.
The grassy center was for the dancing and such. 


As we waded through the people, we were quickly ushered to our seats. 
In the front row. Next to the General of the Rwandan Army and a few other seemingly important people.
Little did we know at the time that these would be our seats for the next 4.5 hours.

Quick side note: I miss my church so much, but I do love going to church here, too. 
Not because I understand what is going on (because I don't), but because it is perfect time to reflect and pray
Usually when I sit silently, begging God pray I am alone. 
But there is definitely power in praying with others; being surrounded by lifted voices, lifted hands, and lifted hearts. Mmmmm.

...the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. Romans 8:26

(Are you sick of me saying this?) I am reading a new book. Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan. 
It is awesome and it has been on my reading list for a while. 
I'm so glad I didn't get to it until now, because I think, for me, at this time, the Holy Spirit and I should be BFF; however, I realize that I often bypass Him, opting instead for Jesus or God.
I love being slapped in the face with the obvious. Really.

Back to the ordainment (whatever it's called): I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the presence of the Spirit. He was there in all His glory. And I was left marveling.
Humbled.
Filled.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

He was there in the rolling hillside.

He was there in the perfect blue sky,
the warm sunshine and the cool breeze.

He was there in the dancers.




There in the new Priests.



And there in the proud families.


To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal? says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:25-26

He was there and He is good.

Overflowing with hope.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! The Spirit really comes through in your writing. What an awesome day!

Suzanne said...

oops. sorry. I am Billy Pope's wife if my profile didn't post correctly :)

tara said...

Thank you so much, Suzanne! That means more than you know. It was a perfect day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...