Sunday, April 17, 2011

"To-Don't List"

So, I'm reading Weird--Because Normal Isn't Working by Craig Groeshel.  It's fantastic.



It's an easy read, with a simple concept, but it makes you think. Why you we do the things we do? Why do we get so caught up in what everyone else is doing? Normal isn't working.

"Separating ourselves from what the world considers normal is not just a matter of obedience. God invites us to dance to a different tune, because He knows what's truly going to satisfy and fulfill us."

Normal people make to-do lists, Pastor Craig invites us to write a to-don't list. "Put something down and let it go."

Here goes:

1. Don't feel guilty...about saying no or about how I'm spending my time.

2. Don't compare.


3. Don't Facebook two days a week. I think I'll pick Tuesday and Thursday.

4. Don't let the negative overshadow the positive.

5. Don't be shortsighted. Be willing to give up the things you want now for the things you want more.


6. Don't pick your nose...in public.

7. Don't complain.

8. Don't mindlessly watch t.v. If you're just flipping for junk, turn it off.


8.  Don't be perfect, be better. Read at least 2 books a month.

9. Don't take it personally. Your world is shaped by your reaction to things, not by the things themselves.

10. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.



11. Don't overcommit. An activity every evening is too much.

12. Don't give up.

13. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- His good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

That seems like a pretty good start...

I think the point of the to-don't list was supposed to be in reference to time, but mine kind of spilled over into just life in general. However, I feel that all of these things are time consuming in some way. I'm sure it's fine. 

Making the list was, actually, tougher than I thought. But I liked it. I think I'll keep it going; keep adding to it. 

"We have to remind ourselves that just because we can do something doesn't mean we should."

What's on your to-don't list?


Tara


3 comments:

Steffanie Riley said...

To Don't lists are so hard to make but so refreshing. If you are needing another book to read that will honestly rock your world, try Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist. She is Bill Hybels daughter and a fantastic writer.Bittersweet is amazing. I bought the book in late December, and have read it every month, carried it around everywhere, and recommended it to everyone. I promise you, it is a book you will love. And it has a similar chapter to the To Don't List one. :)

tara said...

Bittersweet is now officially next on my list! Tiff has been telling me about it, too! I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it! ;) Thanks for the recommendation!

Nelou said...

I love this!! You are truly so inspiring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...