Sunday, January 30, 2011

Disturbed

This last week has been a crazy roller-coaster of emotions; surprise, surprise. The week began with a major high, as I skyped with a dear friend in Dallas and a new friend in Rwanda, and then ended with a major low, as I met a friend for coffee on Sunday afternoon. However, before the crash and burn, I did get a chance to see the beautiful African Children's Choir. WOW!!

The African Children's Choir is made up of children ages 7 to 12 from several African nations. Since its inception, the choir has included children from Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa, Nigeria, and Ghana. Many of the children have lost one or both parents to AIDS and other poverty-related diseases, and all of them are victims of extreme poverty. There are currently three choirs on tour in the UK, the US and Canada, with the 30th and 31st touring Canada and the US, respectively. These choirs are all children from Uganda.







The choir was founded in 1984 in Uganda as a Christian charity and has expanded since. For each new tour, new children are selected for the choir, with each tour lasting from a year to a year and a half. The choir serves as the main fund-raising branch for its parent organization, Music For Life Institute, with proceeds from the choir's work used for education and relief efforts for African children affected by poverty and disease. Over 7,000 children in several African nations are currently being supported through the program. A MUST SEE!!

Anywho, I don't feel the need to go into the details of the coffee date gone bad. I will just say, I was feeling discouraged. I prayed and sought counsel from a few wise women and am back on track. This journey of faith is just beginning and I know that there will be plenty of twists and turns along the way. "God doesn't call the prepared, He prepares the called." As cliche as that is, it's true, and I have been called according to His purpose.  As I pray through this first disturbance, I am reminded of a famous prayer:

Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
with the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wilder seas
Where storms will show Your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.

We ask you to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push back the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.
And
This we ask in the name of our Captain,
Who is Jesus Christ.

-Sir Francis Drake

And I am reminded that, to be disturbed, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Disturb me, Lord.


Tara

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Great post!!

Tiffanie Marie said...

Yours is super cute!!!! I love the way you designed it. =]

I'm dying over your Africa posts...and again, I'm so inspired by your willingness and obedience Tara. Seriously, I'm so so so happy for you and just ahhhh. I wish we were moving with you! haha.

Keep blogging! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...